Wednesday 10 November 2010

Hrmm. C'est la vie, I guess. Everyone gives you advice, and you're confused, because your heart is going one way and your head is going the total opposite direction. When you follow the advice, you end up heartbroken. When you don't, you feel like a disappointment. Sometimes you can't win.

But today, I was walking home from college. Tell a lie, I was actually walking to town, to do a favour for mum, when I had a moment of inspiration. Seriously, it stopped me in my tracks.

I'd posted on Facebook about a week ago, that I wanted to be the "Canary with grey on her wings". It hit me today, that I am being a Canary with grey wings at the moment. Let me explain.
In the Church, we have magazines, and the Youth Magazine is called "New Era", and one of the articles was about a woman who had 3 canaries. Each one was as beautiful as the last. 2 had beautiful yellow wings, and the last had grey flecks on his wings. The woman died, and left her Canaries to the man who wrote this article. I think it was Thomas S. Monson, or Gordon B. Hinckley. she said the grey-winged Canary, although looked different, sang just as beautiful as the others, if not more so.

Which got me thinking. the bird stood out from the others for it's physical difference. In these latter-day times, it's important that we stand out for our differences, our values. Acting in a Christlike manner will get others asking why. Why don't we drink alcohol, smoke, do drugs? Why don't we believe in sex before marriage? Why do we dress modestly, and cover our shoulders?
It's even more important that we have answers, and a testimony to bear to those who ask.
I don't want to sound like a preacher. And I'm sorry if I do. This is just what came into my head today, and I couldn't wait to write it down!

2 comments:

  1. I love the canary story! I think it was also used as a home teaching message sometime in the summer. I want to be that canary too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. aha, be my guest :) and everyone should strive to be that canary

    ReplyDelete